Monday, February 27, 2012

The Waiting Game

Well I have officially finished the testing, now all I am doing is waiting for Paula to call me with my test results or the hospital to ask me in for more tests.  All being well I will not need to go back until the sixth of March for chemo mobilisation.  Until then I plan on using my time to see this truly majestic city and hopefully experience some of its magnificent culture.

On another note, I have to say it can be lonely at times.  Experiencing a new city would be so much more fun if I had someone to share it with.  I miss my wife and I miss my kids and I look forward to talking to them at the end of the day and telling them about what I had seen and done.  Well for now with the medical stuff in a sort of hiatus, I guess my blog will turn more into a travel journal as I experience Chicago.

Yesterday I had a busy day.  I have been amazed at the friendliness of all the people here from friends, to friends of friends, hotel and hospital staff and complete strangers, so getting around has been a breeze.  In the morning I went to visit an old friend and her family.  It was fantastic to catch up band we had a wonderful chat about all things past and present.

In the afternoon I took myself off to the top of the John Hancock centre.  It is home to the worlds highest ice skating rink but I decided against partaking in that activity.  The views up the top were magnificent, as shown in the pictures in my last post.  If there was one positive about not having my family here it was that I could take my time and really take in the sights and listen to the David Schwimmer commentary.  My kids like to rush around somewhere like that in less than 60 seconds and normally I have to follow.  But yesterday I could take my time.  However, it is but one little luxury and I would gladly trade it in to have them with me.

Following that, I was picked up by some friends who I found out lived in Chicago and we went out for Thai food.  Again, I can't stress how nice the people here have been.  Today I am planning on doing a bus tour of the windy city.  I'll be sure to let you know what it is like.  Until then, stay well:)

2 comments:

  1. Andy, can you share with me the bus tour info? I have set up a "Chicago Greeter" tour but I'm afraid it's a walking tour and I don't think I'll be doing that very well. :(
    Thanks and HAVE FUN!!!
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you check out second city and the great Irish bar across the street. Also the cheeseburger joint under grand street that was famous for the Saturday night live skit. Also the mob tour is interesting.

    ReplyDelete