Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The most painful

After writing yesterdays post on pain, I got to thinking about what are the most painful things I have ever had to endure.  Normally, I would say that the most painful thing ever is the pain you feel right there and then.  Since right now I am not feeling any pain I thought this would be a great time to write it.

Kidney Stone 10/10 - No surprises here.  Kidney stones are agony.  Basically, the kidney is blocked by a stone so no urine can get through.  The kidney swells up like a balloon and pain is inevitable.  There are a lot of nerves around the kidney too so the pain is also referred.  It can stretch from just under your ribs all the way down to your knee.  Peeing is painful as the bladder is irritated which also makes you want to urinate more frequently.

IVIG headache 9/10 - People have described it as having your head in a vice.  I think not only that but it also feels like you have a vice inside your head pushing out.  The pressure also feels like it is squeezing out snake venom through your eyes and ears.  Kidney stones and an IVIG headache are the only pains I have had that are great enough to induce vomiting.

Nerve pain 6/10 - This is the pain I was talking about in my last post.  The hardest part is it normally happens when I am asleep and I wake up only after it is out of control.  It is also very hard to treat.

Tonsillectomy 6/10 - If you didn't know, before I started blogging I had my tonsils out.  The pain was quite substantial, but what was worst about it was the fact is hung around for about two weeks.  However, it was quite treatable and I'm really glad I had it done.


Kidney surgery 5/10 - As you can imagine with any surgery, it is rather painful but a hard one to gauge as when you wake up you normally have some analgesia in your system which will be combating the pain.  With Kidney surgery I am referring to a percutaneous nephrolithotomy.


Tonsillitis 4/10 - Not as painful as the op, but probably the worst thing would also be tasting the puss at the back of your throat.  After a day of antibiotics the pain would normally subside.

Headache 2/10 - A normal headache.  As with everyone I get headaches from time to time.  I put this one in for a comparison with the IVIG headache so you would know.

Vasectomy 1/10 - Sorry guys, but this was a walk in the park, and I hate to burst all your bubbles when you are pushing for that extra bit of TLC from you beloved.  My testicles hurt more with kidney stones.

Now this is my personal pain scale.  Feel free to agree or disagree I'd love to hear, but I hope it will give people an insight to what pain can be like for some people.  Until next time, stay well:)

1 comment:

  1. I can definately agree on kidney pain. Although appendix are about as painful, but without the pain spreading. Plus it took longer to recover from the op!

    ReplyDelete