Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pain

One of the things that patient are not judged on which they should be is what nearly everyone doesn't see.  This weekend I have had an extremely social couple of days.  Friday I went to the cricket.  Saturday we had a breakfast outing, followed by lunch (which finished at ten o clock at night) and another lunch on Sunday.  I guarantee that not one of the people I had the pleasure of seeing would have had any idea what  pain I was in Friday night.

It happens sometimes.  I wake up in the night and my arms are in agony.  They are painful, numb and I can't move them.  What makes it even worse is I am yet to find any form of pain relief that works.  All I can do is get out of bed walk around and try to get the blood flowing back into my arms.

After about ten minutes the pain will dissipate, but by the time I have got back to bed I have lost half an hour of sleep, and to add to the problem I find it will normally happen again once it has happened once.  In order to combat this all I can do is lie on my back with my arms in the air like a mummy.

The point I am trying to make is that life for the patient is almost always worse than what the third party observer will see.  So don't judge an individuals treatment choices when you can't really know what they are going through.  Until next time, stay well:)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, so agree! Although, I am fortunate that I don't get a lot of pain, my choice of treatment is just that - "My choice of treatment!" Don't judge me about it! Doctor, lawyer or Indian chief!
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. Having daily chronic pain, I am able to "pass" a lot as not being in pain. Sometimes, I have had doctors, at the end of appt.'s, say they think I am faking the pain because I do not act like other patients do when they are in pain. But, if you are going to walk around in pain most of the time, you are not going to show it.

    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I like your post and it is so good and I am definitely going to save it. One thing to say the In-depth analysis this article has is truly remarkable. No one goes that extra mile these days? Bravo!! Just one more tip you can get a Translator for your Worldwide Audience !!!

    ReplyDelete