Friday, February 24, 2012

How was my day

You know, I gave it some thought and realised that my schedule is fraught with danger.  The appointments are actually quite close together and if the first one is late, it could throw out my whole day, bouncing around from late appointment to late appointment.  Fortunately, the day went really smoothly and again was very productive one.

I started off with a visit to the infectious disease expert, Dr Ison.  One thing about North Western is they are so thorough it is borderline obsessive compulsive.  Again I was asked to fill out some paperwork and check over the same information to check that I am really me.  One thing I find funny is that the first question on the form is about insurance.  I have to admit that the hospital and its facilities are probably the best I've ever seen, but I feel that those facilities might be out of reach without the proper insurance or finances.

After the forms a nurse showed me through to a consulting room where they took my vitals and quizzed me about why I was here to see Dr Ison, after which I was left by myself to await the good doctor.  The next people who came into the room were the pharmacy people who wanted to write down my entire list of medications that I take on a day to day basis.

They then left and once again I was left by myself until Dr Ison came in.  He was a nice man and we got straight down to business.  Dr Burt was worried about the complications my brain stimulator might have on the transplant.  Apparently implanted medical devices can harbour bacteria which could be a problem when you have no immune system.  His main concern was that I would have wires exposed through the skin and since I don't he really wasn't worried.  Personally, this for me was a huge relief.  I had been worried about the implications because if an infection did manifest itself in my stimulator, it would have a short track right to the middle of my brain.  It is still a factor for me, but at least now I am much more comfortable with it.

After then it was back to laboratory services where this time they actually had my order.  I thought seeing that I had a bunch of blood work done back home in Australia they wouldn't need that much.  I was wrong.  I think there were actually 28 tubes.  I had a great nurse and we got straight into it.  After five tubes we were still going strong.  After ten things were starting to slow down, and about the twenty mark we were really starting to struggle.

With just four tubes to go the vein dried up and alas I had to get stuck again.  At least I have two arms so it was off to the other side and the rest was a breeze.  The other great thing about it was I didn't have to wait long so I had time to go to the cafeteria for a quick bite before I finally got to go see the legend, Dr Burt.

Now I hate putting doctors up on a pedestal like that.  I believe that doctors are people too and we need to test them to make sure that they are doing their job properly.  But Dr Burt does fit the mould of legend.  He is not just practicing medicine, he is writing a whole new chapter of his own.  The work he is doing has the potential to help a lot of people in the future.  However, doctors are people too and can have bad days and make mistakes.  As a patient I believe that you have an obligation to make sure a doctor is giving you the best care available.

In Dr Burt's case I don't think there will be a problem.  He seemed extremely knowledgeable and was very personable and engaging.  Don't you just hate it when someone is that great in every way?  He got the ball rolling by telling me about his trip down under and his little sojourn down the great ocean road.  If you reading this Dr Burt, the Victorian Police department thanks you for your kind donation;)

What people said about him being fast was also true.  Don't get me wrong he was thorough, but after Paula had taken my vitals (again) he came in and did his thing and left.  I had questions to ask him, most of which we covered in the main part of the consultation but I only just got my last question in while he had one foot out the door.  I feel quite comfortable being under his care.

Given the mix up of the first day, I have to say that the hospital has got an A+ for the last two days.  Right now I have the joyful task of a 24hr urine test, which has rendered me pretty much hotel bound for the day.  I have to keep the sample refrigerated too, so it is sitting on the second shelf of my fridge next to my water bottle.  Man I hope I don't make a mistake:0

Until next time, stay well:)

3 comments:

  1. Good report Andy. helps to know what's coming even tho I don't have the brain thingy going on...I'm not even sure I have a brain! LOL
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's going well at Northwestern- sounds like an efficient, productive and encouraging day. Now tucked into your room you have a first rate seat for the dreaded 'Thundersnow!!!!" we are supposed to experience tonight. Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you feel comfortable with your hospital Andrew. I know how it feels to be admitted somewhere you really dont trust - no names but it's the only hospital in Carlisle, England - but my main hospital now is awesome. They treat people from a huge area and are top in a lot of areas of treatment, including organ transplant, neuro etc

    ReplyDelete