Monday, February 20, 2012

Sweet Home Chicago

Well for the next two months anyway.  And if it weren't so bloody cold I think I could happily live here.  Seriously, when I walked out of the airport I had this 'Cool Runnings' moment (The movie about the Jamaican bob sled team)  when the Jamaicans are all huddled up in the airport terminal because it is so cold outside.

But Chicago is quite fantastic.  The people I have met so far have been really helpful and friendly.  The city is clean and seems very exciting.  But it is only day one and as I am such a slave to jet lag I spent most of it sleeping.

However, when I finally got outside the first thing I noticed was the sheer size of all the buildings.  Seriously, they are huge.  Four of the six tallest buildings in the USA are right here in Chicago.  The hotel I am staying in is not small, it is 17 stories tall and is dwarfed by the John Hancock centre which is next door like a seedling in a mature old growth forest.  When I walked outside I looked up and saw and started feeling dizzy they're so big.

One stop I had to make was to a chemist/pharmacist/drug store (I can't remember the name in each country).  But I should say chemist/pharmacist/drug store/super market/convenience store/novelty store/bottle shop/confectionery/tobacconist/etc.  I find it funny that once you have got your prescription pharmaceuticals you gan go and get your beer and ciggies not more than one isle away.

One thing I have to say though is that even though it is a lot of fun exploring a new city, it would be more fun doing it with someone else.  I start testing tomorrow, I will tell you all about it next time.  Stay well:)

4 comments:

  1. Even though I cant be there in person, I'm still with you pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live about 4-5 hours north east of Chicago, have been through there a few times and spent 4 days there with my girls, I really liked it, easy to get around, we bought a three day pass which we could use for the bus or elevated train, we spent part of one day riding the 'el' train to look at things. If you can, go online or to a tourist place and find a Chicago greeter, it is free and what it is a person who lives in Chicago and they will take you on various tours, we did an architectual tour with a lovely lady who was native to England but had lived in Chicago for several years. Good luck with your testing. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Chicago. This is the warmest winter that we have had in years... By far

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Andy, I found you. Cool Blog! If you are next to the John Hancock you are only a few blocks from me, I am about 500 West on Chicago avenue. Not quite walkable but a quick cab ride! I will send my cell to you on FB- I can't wait to catch up. I'm an old hand at sponsoring tourists to Chicago- anything you need let me know- I'm pretty excited to have you local for a bit!

    ReplyDelete