Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A bad start.

North Western Hospital has a reputation of being one of the best in the USA.  Scratch that, North Western Hospital has a reputation of being one of the best in the world.  Great doctors, fantastic staff, awesome facilities and ground breaking research.  So why have they stuffed up everything I have had to do so far?

First, they managed to lose all the x-rays I sent to them.  This was no biggy, I had copies of everything that I could easily resend.  But as I said in a previous post, this is not enough to make me worry, but it does put a black mark against their name.

What is worse is that now I am 0 for 2.  As requested in my transplant diary, I turned up at the Galter Pavilion, level 18, to have my labs done.  I was in their system, but they did not have the order for my tests.  So they sent me to the neurology department.  But they sent me to the wrong one.  I needed clinical neurology and they had sent me to cognitive neurology and I fairly sure I'm don't have Alzheimer's...  Hang on where are we, I forgot.  Just kidding;)

So from there I went to the proper department of neurology where I again received no assistance.  So I decided to go to the department of immunology to see if I could clear this up.  But I wanted the division of Immunology and autoimmune disorders.  So off to department number five.  This was Dr Burt's office, so finally after about 20 minutes they came back to me and asked me to come back tomorrow.  Yes I was not very happy to say the least.

It is not all the needless running around that I minded, what bothers me is wondering what else they will stuff up.  I mean if they can lose x-rays could they lose my stem cells?  Or once I am neutropenic could they miss an all important blood test?

This may sound like a whinge, but I think it is extremely important.  After all these administrative bungles are not that important.What is important is I need to feel confident so when I get heavily into it I'll not be worried about mistakes costing me big time.  I will be talking to Paula about this tomorrow and I will be talking to Dr Burt about it Wednesday.   Although I do not think either mistake was their fault, Paula is in charge of my scheduling and Dr Burt is the department head and they are responsible for my treatment and care.  For Dr Burt this is one of the burdens of leadership.

Lastly I do not admonish myself from all responsibility.  I know I have travelled a long way for this procedure, paid a lot of money and left my family behind, but it is my health and my treatment.  I need to step up, reaffirm my faith in the hospital and make sure all will go well from here.  There are an awful lot of mistakes in hospitals that could have been one prevented by a number of people, the patient included.  I do not want to be involved in a mistake I could have prevented.  Time to put my game face on.  I need to be assertive, not aggressive.  Stern but friendly.  Until next time, stay well:)

6 comments:

  1. Yes, things happen; but I do agree you need to address them so you can be confident! I also agree that being assertive not aggressive is the right approach! I sure hope these "glitches" can be resolved easily and quickly! God bless.
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew... Keep the faith... It is probably better these things happen now, rather than when you are into the procedures.. They will hopefully put a "special attention/VIP" note in your file for all to see... Docs and facilities in US are paranoiac about screw ups and possible legal ramifications.. Elizabeth and I only just started reading your blog.. Your PMA is fantastic, and an example to others... We are both wishing you well... A close friend of ours went through similar treatment in 2010, and we recently spent 10 days travelling Canada with he and his wife...sampling many local brews..!! Just be careful with infections...
    Thinking of you,
    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andy
    Sorry to hear things are off to such a messy start over there. Take heed in knowing that as a health professional I know all too well that the beaurocratic red tape BS that surrounds us as clincians is equally frustrating to patients and clinicians alike. Unfortunately admin systems and people tend to either be the fabulous 'bend over backwards types' or the 'get out of my face I'm too busy to care' types. Maybe one ends up becoming the other, not sure there. Either way, until you get the name of someone helpful (once you find them, get their full name and their direct pager number or desk number!!) you are bound to get the run around. The systems here are bad enough and that's in tiny little Newcastle. Over there I imagine there are even more layers of crap to navigate and negotiate.
    The clinicians are usually there for the right reasons though, and because they enjoy high callibre work....and getting it right. If Doctors are burnt out or not interested, they move on elsewhere for usually more money and better conditions!!! So you should be fine once you get into the actual medical side of things.
    Hate the machine, not the people in it.

    Hope this helps to keep the faith buddy.
    We're both thinking of you heaps and wishing you the best in navigating the new world over there. I reckon any admin or pathology workers in the stem cell medical area would be switched on to their jobs or kicked out....you'll be right mate. Or maybe you'll just come home with an invigorated memory and be really really good at brain teasers....?!?!?!

    Lots of love, Em and GG xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised to hear about your experiences at NWMH.I was always very impressed with their efficiency and organization. You had a bad experience, and that is very frustrating, but I think you will find this to be the exception and not the rule. Once admitted, the number of people taking care of you decreases to a select group whose job it is to take care of patients that are there for transplant. I hope and believe you will find the staff to be very consciences and dedicated, and I believe wholeheartedly they will take very good care of you. This is an awesome experience and I hope nothing more then for you to experience as many positives as I have, and even more. Go with the right attitude and keep your eyes on the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew I believe you've nailed it. things happen. Address those concerns now politely, but firmly to get the assurances and confidence in the system that you need! Also they can't fix it if they don't know that it is broken. Finally, this is not the time to become a Limp Rag, just letting it all happen without question. Become a major part of the team!
    If this group is any good, and I do believe they are, they will welcome you and appreciate your active participation. This is critical to success. You need to be attentive to detail and providing feedback so that they can provide the best care possible. For all the testing that can be performed, there is NO Substitute for Your Feedback. Keep on, keeping on; Politely make em accountable and then move forward. Best wishes on your success, Andrew! M Gaffney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Andrew. Frustrating for sure but I always think - keep being nice/polite and you will win in the end. Thank heaven you know now that as much as their reputation preceeds them, they can make mistakes!! Better now than later!! Be on guard and I am sure once the procedure begins everything will be as you expected and hoped for.Helen H xx

    ReplyDelete