Google+ Followers

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Still Home Sweet Home

My word, it is good to be back.  But I have to admit that it probably was the hardest trip I have ever had to do.  The leg from Chicago to LA was pretty non eventful, but the one thing that never left was the constant fatigue.  Every time it was time to get up and go somewhere (on the plane, off the plane etc...) I had this overwhelming feeling of lethargy because I quite simply didn't want to move.  But sometimes you do what you must so you just have to suck it up and get on with it.  And once I did I felt ok.

The main problem came about 3 hours away from home when I finally hit the wall.  I started getting the sweats, feeling nauseas and extremely weak.  I took my temperature and it was 99.5F.  Oh dear, that is a low grade fever.  I took some panadol and tried to relax and my temperature came down to 98.5F.  Phew, I could start to relax but I still felt weak, nauseas and a general feeling of discomfort.  Luckily when we got to Melbourne there was a wheel chair waiting for me, which is not just a easy way through the airport it is a way to fast track immigration so we got through the airport nice and quick.

At the other end it was lovely to see my kids waiting.  And they looked very pleased to see me.  I don't know whether it was because they were excited about the gifts we had for them or the fact they got the day off school?  I'd like to think they were happy to see me;)

After a very smooth transition through the airport, the luck didn't continue and it took an hour to get home as the traffic was so heavy.  Normally I wouldn't let that bother me but I'd had enough.  Each extra minute I spent in the car felt like a small fire cracker being set off inside me fuelling my anxiety and frustration.  The only thing I could do to relieve the stress is remind my father in law that his beloved Bombers lost to Collingwood by a point in the Anzac day blockbuster.  Hehehe.

Finally I got home and it was a short trip from car to bed where I slept for best part of three hours.  I would have slept longer but I had a doctors appointment so I dragged myself from the comfort of my soft quilted mattress and lovely soft doona and headed down to the doctor.

He gave me a work up seeing as I had a low grade fever which had returned when I saw him, wrote the scripts that they had recommended in Chicago, organised my blood work and told me to call him or go to emergency immediately if my temperature rose above 38C.  (Back in Oz now so we're back on the metric system)  After seeing the doc I had my blood drawn and then it was back home where I slept on the couch for a couple of hours, then to bed where I slept all night.  Man, I needed the sleep.

Well, I think that is enough for today, until next time, stay well:)


  1. Welcome back Andy! Watch those fevers. I bet you couldn't get back quick enough. Rest up. Cheers Tys

  2. Thanks Tys,

    Hope B is doing well. It can't be long now.....