Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DC

As I told you this morning, and as you probably figured from the video I took at the air and space museum, I have been in Washington DC for the last three days.  I went there and stayed with a dear friend and her family and we had a great time.  It was great to get away.  Being away from Chicago and in the company of friends was extremely refreshing.  I was able to forget about the stresses of the medical trial and take some time to see some really cool stuff while I was there.

The first day I awoke late in the English basement because the bed was so comfortable and the lack of windows kept the room super dark, the two vital ingredients for waking up late.  I won't bore you with chronicling my trip to the Air and Space museum so I will just move on to day two.

Again I woke late, and by the time we had all got ourselves ready and my friend had got her two kids ready, our breakfast outing had turned from brunch and finally into lunch.  Since through genuine procrastination and laziness on my part it was time to go see some stuff.  And wow, is there some stuff to see!  DC has the best museums in the world, and also the best monuments too.

That day I decided it was time to see the monuments.  When I was in DC 10 years ago with my wife we saw the Vietnam  and Korean memorials, Roosevelt and Lincoln memorials, the Washington monument and Arlington cemetery.  So we started at the WWII memorial.  Amazingly enough, they only built it two years ago and was constructed due to the dedication of Bob Dole and Tom Hanks who were ashamed that Washington did not have a memorial for the fallen of WWII.

Personally, even as a half Australian half Brit, I was genuinely moved by the memorial.  My grandfather fought in the war in the Pacific and for much of that he was fighting alongside Americans.  He was the first Australian to win the Distinguished Flying Cross so I have to say I was genuinely moved by the memorial.  Here are some pictures I took:-

The Front

The fountain

All 50 states are represented by pillars like this.  I took a picture of Illinois as this is where I have spent most of my time.

Something for the overseas allies

I took a picture of Kansas as the friend I was staying with was originally from there.
After the WWII memorial we went to the Jefferson memorial, which was huge.  I have to say, I'm not American so maybe I don't understand, but the Jefferson memorial is bigger than the WWI, WWII, Vietnam and Korean memorials put together.  I understand that Jefferson was instrumental in building the foundations of the USA, but is his life worth more than the thousands that died for their country?  Honestly, I cannot answer that question as I'm not American, but it is merely a discussion point.

I will, talk about the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum tomorrow.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment