Thursday, December 15, 2011

Is it still helping?

Back in May 2010 I wrote this post judging my stimulator and the benefits I had received in certain areas of my life.

So, How Has it Helped?

When I wrote it I only had the stimulator turned on for two weeks.  A year and a half later I thought it would be a good idea to revisit.  Funnily enough I thought that after two weeks it was about as good as it was ever going to get.  And wow, was I wrong.  Since then I have had dozens of adjustments and with each one there has always been a slight improvement.

I guess one of the biggest changes was when I swapped from a monopolar setting to a bipolar setting.  Although there was not that much difference to my tremor, the bipolar setting really helped with my balance and co-ordination, and with a monopolar setting I also suffered from excessive sweating, which also seemed to clear up.

Here are my evaluations:-


Brushing Teeth 9/10 - I don't notice any difficulty now, so really good.

Showering 6/10 - Much better, but I still cannot close my eyes under water without holding on.

Getting Dressed 7/10 - buttons, zips, cuffs etc. are all easier, but not perfect.

Writing 6.5/10 - Good, but although the tremor is not a factor, there is a some rigidity which makes it harder.  I could fill out a form, but I wouldn't want to be writing any essays.

Typing 7/10 - I still only use my index fingers, but speed is much better.

Cooking 5/10 - Also made easier by some of the aids I have got (see here).

Gaming 5/10 - I find it easier than before, but not easier than a long time before.

Eating 8/10 - It is much easier now, unless I am eating really tricky and delicate foods like prawns .

Drinking 8/10 - I can drink with one hand on a good day.

Using the Remote 8/10 - Funnily enough I watch less TV now, but when I do it is easier.

Peeing Standing Up 10/10 - Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wiping 10/10 - It used to be messy.  Now it isn't.

Overall, I am really happy.  On average I would say 8.5/10.  Given where I was I have had a huge improvement.  Having brain surgery is no small decision.  But I'm glad I did it and if I had to do it again, I would.  Until net time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment