Friday, December 30, 2011

Passive Smoking

Last night I was watching TV and I saw this segment on a man that was attempting to sue his neighbours for passive smoking.  The poor man, a 59 year old fitness fanatic had been diagnosed with lung cancer.  Having never smoked a cigarette in his life, and after ruling out all other potential causes, the most likely cause was from passive smoking.  More to the point, passive smoking from his neighbours in an adjacent apartment.  You can see the segment from the Australian current affairs show 'Today Tonight', here.

Personally, I am a huge advocate of non smoking, but in this case I find myself extremely conflicted.  I also believe in freedom, and right or wrong, people should be able to make their own decisions.  Your choice to smoke should be your own decision.  It's a decision I don't agree with but if you want to kill yourself slowly and die a slow and painful death, go right ahead.

However, on the flip side I do also believe that people who don't smoke have the right to protect their health and live in a smoke free environment.  So here is the conundrum.  Both sides have the same argument.  An individuals right to smoke versus an individuals right to protect their health.  It's all about personal rights.

Here in Australia there is a strong persuasion towards the latter.  It is now illegal to smoke in pubs, clubs, public buildings etc.  There is a strong push to ban smoking in outdoor areas as well, and you can't smoke in a car with children inside.  But if you are over 18, it is legal to smoke, the question is where?  And if you can't smoke in your own home, where can you smoke?

If a smoker as an individual asked me for an answer my advice would be to quit.  There are plenty of products, organisations and individuals that can assist you in quitting.  Not only do you decrease the odds of being sued, the health benefits are undeniable.  However, as a group the answer is not so simple.  Some people are bound not to want to quit, and others simply won't.

So what do we do?  Lock people up in secluded rooms to partake in their addiction, similar to the Kings Cross heroin injecting room?  Have designated 'smoking' apartment complexes like we do hotel rooms?  Smokers need somewhere to smoke, or the government should just make it illegal.  In my own opinion, I like there being huge restrictions on smokers.  As a non smoker I do enjoy a smoke free environment and the benefits that I and my children receive to our health.

But I also respect other peoples rights to make their own choices, right or wrong.  I guess what we need to do is find a way for people who want to smoke be able to smoke without harming others.  It's a tough one.  Until next time, stay well:)

If you smoke and want to quit, there are many options available to you including seeing your GP, calling quit line on 137848 (Australia only) or visit www.quit.org.au.

1 comment:

  1. Passive smoking is one type of smoking in which actually the scene is that smokers smoking in any area and if you are around them then you are affected by smoking environment and then you become passive smoker, but in a real situation you don't like smoke.

    ReplyDelete