Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Time Flies...

It only seems like last week when I was in for my monthly dose of boring, but time flies and time has already come around again, and thankfully I have now just finished and am sitting at home trying very hard to stay away from noisy children who act as a catylist for an IVIG headache.  Those of you who have had IVIG headaches know what I am talking about.  The neighbours lawn mower certainly does not help either.

But what I wanted to talk about today was the mental preparation prior to treatment that I seemed to neglect on my last post.  I have always found that if I go into treatment with an open mind I generally feel better upon completion.  The problem is it is hard to be positive when there are so many negatives.

If you look hard enough though, you can always find positives in nearly any situation.  To focus on them requires mental discipline, and that is the hard part.  I normally try to go swimming the morning of treatment.  This has a few benefits.  First, it gets the blood pumping so your veins are nice and plump before infusion.  Secondly, exercise and controlled breathing is quite meditative, which helps with focus.  Third, it clears the mind.

I also swim with a friend and afterwards we go for breakfast which gives me something to look forward to just prior to treatment.  But that still finishes before treatment starts, so I need another positive to focus on, and I have two.

First, although I have a negative short term response, the long term benefit is undeniable.  Since being on IVIG my rate of deterioration has been far slower, so this treatment keeps me walking, keeps me functional and allows my independence.  Second, I give myself a treat and rent a couple of movies just for me.  Nobody else around to say "I've seen that" or "I don't want to watch that".  The choice is mine and mine alone and it gives me time to do something I don't get to do often that I really enjoy.

I think that the hardest part is simply focusing on the benefits and not allowing the negatives to creep in.  For me it is simply a conscious decision to focus on the positive.  It can be hard, but it is worth it.  Remember, we can't help the way we feel, but we can help the way we think.  The way we think influences the way we feel, and the way we feel influences the way we think. If we can alter our thoughts, we can turn the tide on how we feel about a given event.  In this case for me, my treatment.  Until next time, stay well:)

2 comments:

  1. Andy, that's a good attitude to have - look for the good stuff! I drive about an hour to my infusion center/doctors office and I go way earlier than that since it is during rush hour if I would leave at a normal time to get there by 9am. So I leave my house before 6am, drive down in a vehicle without a radio :( but it gives me time to talk/sing to God. That helps me and I get to pray for all my friends (you too Andy!). Then I go to breakfast and read my nook (e-book) and depending on which place I eat, I save 1/2 my food for lunch (which my infusion nurse heats up for me) or I go eat lunch after. If I start the infusion by 9:15am or so I get done about 2pm, yours sounds like it a lot quicker than that if you get done in time to go out for breakfast after. How does that work for you?
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Wendy, I probably didn't explain myself very well. We have breakfast after swimming but before IVIG. I have 69gms of IVIG it takes about 7 hours from go to woe. And thank you for praying for me. Andy

    ReplyDelete