Thursday, December 1, 2011

Update

I have a bit of a skip in my step today.  I feel that things are starting to get moving, but I have to admit, it isn't going to be easy.  One of the things I am trying to do is to 'pre-qualify' for the stem cell transplant whilst I am still in Australia.  I don't want to go all the way to Chicago, only to find out that I am not a suitable candidate and I get sent packing back to Australia with my tail between my legs.

So right now I have been asked to do a lot of tests.  And I mean a lot of tests.  I have listed them here:-


Blood Work and Urinalysis

Immunoglobulins quantitative IgG/M/A
Lymphocyte phenotypes (CD3,4,8, CD 56, CD 20)
Varicella zoster virus (VZV)
Herpes simplex virus HSV
Cytomegalovirus by polymerase chain reaction (CMV by PCR)
Urinalysis (UA)
Uric acid
Fibrinogen Antigen Assays/Prothrombin Time (PT)/Partial Thromboplastin Time (PTT)
Anti bodies; MAG, GM1, GM2, GD1b, sulfatide, GALOP
Serum protein electrophoresis (SPEP)
Immunofixation Electrophorisis (IFE)
Anti-Hu anti bodies
Cytoplasmic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (C-ANCA)
Antinuclear antibody (ANA) panel to include Anti DS DNA, SSA, SSB
Anti-gliadin
Anti-transglutaminase
Rheumatoid Factor
C-reactive protein (CRP)
Sedimentation rate
Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE)
Cryoglobulin
Triiodothyronine, Thyroxine, Thyroid-stimulating Hormone (T3, T4, TSH)
Thiamine (vitamin B1)
Vitamin B12
HIV
Hepatitis B 
Human T-lymphotropic virus Type I (HTLV-1)
Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c)
Prostate-specific antigen (PSA)

Other Tests

Pulmonary function Test
Echocardiogram
CT sinus’
EKG
Chest X-ray
MRI
Lumbar puncture

I have been very busy getting my head around what they are all for, which has been really hard seeing as though my GP didn't know what about a third of them were.  Luckily, Dr Google seemed to have information on most of them.

Although the task is daunting, it is nice to finally feel like I am doing something.  The worst feeling is just standing still waiting for something.  An appointment, a test, an answer, anything.  Anyway, forgive me if my blogging is a little light in the short term, I've got some work to do!  

Tomorrow and Monday I will get the other tests done, and hopefully by then I will have figured out the blood tests so I can get them done, and have the results to Chicago by the end of next week.  But I know how it works, I will settle for by Christmas.  The other benefit I have is that I have already done the MRI and lumbar puncture ages ago, so these results will do.

I will keep you all updated as things progress.  Stay well:)  

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck Andrew, that lot is going to cost you a small fortune on medicare but hopefully worth it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your 24 hour wee test in there too? hehe
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough Wendy no. But because of my kidney problem I have extensive urinalysis every six months. Hopefully the results from these will be enough for Dr Burt. Hopefully, because 24hr pee tests suck! And I have to do one next week anyway.

    ReplyDelete