Friday, December 16, 2011

Dangerous Implants

I learnt something today.  Just because something is wrapped up inside you can't forget about it.  I was watching a current affairs show today ant there was a story on the company Medtronic.  Medtronic are the manufacturers of my deep brain stimulator, but they also produce a whole bunch of stuff to do with medical implants and pace makers etc.  Here is their website:-

Medtronic Australia

The story on the current affairs show, creatively named "A Current Affair" was about faulty pace maker implants for the heart.  Apparently they were misfiring causing pain, discomfort and potentially death and as a result a product recall was issued in each country the product had been sold.  Here is a link to the story:

Heart Device Recall

So what did I learn?  In Australia the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) insist that the company providing the product only need to contact the patients doctor about a recall.  From there it is up to the doctor to contact the patient to arrange fixing, replacing, whatever.

Now what if my doctor is retired, deceased or just plain disorganised?  That message is not going to get to me.  The TGA should make it mandatory for the company to contact the patient.  Now, fortunately for me my model of DBS has no recalls or concerns surrounding it, and second, both my neurologist and neurosurgeon are extremely efficient, and I would be very surprised if important news from Medtronic didn't reach me.

But in keeping with my mantra of 'take charge of your own health care', in future I am not leaving this to chance and I am going to make sure I keep myself up to date on any DBS news.  I also think that the TGA should make it compulsory for the medical manufacturer to inform the end consumer of their good if there are any fault.  After all, if it was your implant wouldn't you like to know?  Until next time, stay well:)

Ps.  If you have an internal cardiac defibrillator implant by Medtronic you should contact your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment