Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So, How Has it Helped?

Below is a short list of tasks that a tremor makes very hard to deal with. I have given each task a mark out of ten (one being no improvement from the DBS ten being a perfect improvement) and a short description why.

Brushing Teeth 5/10 - Definitely some improvement, but not perfect.

Showering 1/10 - Sure, it is easier soaping up and washing off etc, but the stimulator can make me dizzy and unsteady on my feet which makes it harder.

Getting Dressed 2/10 - Try putting your pants on when you are unsteady on your feet. It's hard, and so the stimulator makes this harder. However, doing up buttons is so much easier and if scored by itself would score a 9/10.

Writing 8/10 - Being able to rest my hand on the table makes it hard for the big shakes to present themselves and as there are no smaller shakes writing is much easier.

Typing 1/10 - Sorry doctors, but my typing speed has not increased and I still make about the same amount of mistakes.

Cooking 3/10 - Admittedly, the most I have cooked so far is toast, but the problem is that to cook you need to be steady on your feet and I am less so with the stimulator on. However, the steadiness is improving slowly so I am looking forward to getting back in the kitchen and making a mess.

Gaming 5/10 - A hard one to judge. Super Mario Galaxy on Wii is great, but Wii sports is not. Using the Stylus for the DSI is awesome, but the buttons are still hard.

Eating 6/10 - Eating with my fingers is great, but not so much with the knife and fork. I have bade the odd mess, but on the whole it is easier.

Drinking 5/10 - Still generally a two handed affair but much easier and doesn't look funny anymore. I can manage one handed (left side) bet it requires a deal of concentration.

Using the Remote 8/10 - Rarely do I press the wrong button any more, and I think my wife dislikes my new found channel surfing skills

Peeing Standing Up 10/10 - I have not splashed the boots once in the time since i turned on the stimulator. Before the op it was just easier to sit down, but once again, the world is my toilet.

Wiping 10/10 - Yes you know what I mean! No more brown finger for me.

Overall, I say yes it has surely been worth it. The last two point you may find funny (humour was intended), but they are so important. It is the culmination of little things that hurt you the most and these things count a lot. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment