Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Itchy and Scratchy Show

Well, it's certainly itchy, but I am not allowed to scratch my wound. To start with I still have a bandage on it, and secondly scratching it would increase the risk of infection, and seeing as though I now have two electrodes protruding deep into the centre of my brain, infections could be highly risky. This risk will not subside until the wound has completely healed over, but the doctors are very happy with the way it's healing at the moment. The most I can do to combat the itching at the moment is put pressure on the itchy spot with my hand which wouldn't feel as nice as a good scratch, but will have to do for now. The only other option is to get my wife to change the bandage, and when the antiseptic is applied the stinging is a welcome break from the itching.

They tell me that the itching is a sign that the wound is healing and will subside when the staples are removed which brings me onto a better piece of news. I have a date for my stage two procedure which will happen on Wednesday 12th May. I am actually genuinely looking forward to this as it will give me a sense of completion and also mean that I can finally have my staples out.

For those of you that are confused about stages one and two, I will explain them to you. Stage one is the initial implantation of the electrodes, including their positioning and testing. Read my post entitled 'Recovery Time" for more information. Stage two requires feeding the power wire down under the skin from my head down behind my ear, through my neck where it finishes just below my clavicle. Here the battery is inserted and connected with the wires. For more information on the device visit:

http://www.medtronic.com.au/your-health/essential-tremor/therapy/what-is-it/index.htm

So, aside from the itching I have been recovering very well. I have still been sleeping a lot, but not as much as at the beginning of the week. I am quite up beat, and hopefully by this stage next week I should be able to have the stimulator on twenty four seven. I would almost say I'm excited about the future now. With the hardest part of the procedure behind me it is hard not to be positive. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment