Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stimulated and Turned On! Part 2

I have to say that I stayed in that peaceful zone for at least an hour and would have stayed there longer accept for a visit from my father in law. I figured that this was the catalyst I needed to get up and take my neural stimulator out for a spin, so after donning my dressing gown and slippers I armed myself with a $10 note and we headed off down stairs to the hospital coffee shop. On the way down it was the little things that impressed me that one does not even realise. First I put the $10 note in my wallet without even thinking about it. Before I would have had to be careful to make sure that I got the note in my wallet, and that I didn't empty the other contents of my wallet in the process. Secondly, I used the end of my index finger to push the G button inside the lift. Normally I would use a knuckle as a knuckle would shake less than a finger tip.

Once down stairs I hit my first glitch. As a side effect of the stimulator I was feeling quite dizzy, and I was having trouble walking in a straight line, so I decided not to buy the coffees as originally planned and left that in the capable hands of my father in law. Things got back on track after then though. My mocha arrived in a paper take-away cup, and for the first time in years I managed to prize off the lid, open a sugar sachet, pour it it, stir my beverage, and all without spilling a drop. Yet I still did not feel excited. Just relief, tranquility and contentment. For the first time in years I managed to go out for coffee and enjoy the company and experience without having to worry about how to pick up a hot drink without spilling it or looking stupid. Yes, ladies and gentlemen Friday the 14th of May was a landmark day in the life of Andrew Price.

So that was my first post operative coffee experience. I never thought an ordinary coffee expedition could be so interesting! At least I hope you found it that way and have maybe learned some valuable insights as to what myself and fellow tremor sufferers had/have to go through. Next blog I will focus on the negatives of the DBS. Don't worry, they are more than outweighed by the benefits, but they do exist. Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment