Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A small scare

Last time I said I would talk about how I felt closing in on the surgery. However, sometime something current pops up that I feel is best to talk about now whilst it is fresh than leaving for later, such as my small scare.

One thing I have learnt over the last few years is that if you have a problem, see a doctor. Even if it is embarrassing, or you think you can put up with it and just ride it out see a doctor anyway. Small, easily treatable problems can sometimes become much larger, difficult to treat problems, or they can be masking a much larger underlying problem. But you will never know unless you see your doctor. People die from waiting too long.

So just before Easter, when I started to develop a cough I did not hesitate in taking myself to Clock Corner Medical Centre to have myself checked out. Unfortunately for me my normal GP was on holiday, but that didn't matter as all my files were on record and there were plenty of other doctors who could treat me and I felt with my surgery less than a month away I needed to see someone now.

The surgery did add an extra degree of urgency for me. I certainly did not want to take a cough into my brain op. Firstly, it would add an extra degree of risk and discomfort that would not be wise, and secondly, seeing as the operation was strictly elective they would postpone and I would have to wait another three months for the surgery. Seeing as it has almost been a year since my neurologist and I first made the decision to have the surgery the extra wait is not an option. It takes up a lot of mental energy to prepare for surgery, especially one like this, and a disruption in the timetable adds a great deal of stress that is not required.

So I was at the doctors, and she did the normal tests, (blood pressure, pulse, listened to my chest etc.) and diagnosed me with a mild chest infection. Treatment was a course of antibiotics with a repeat if required. I decided to take the repeat just to make doubly sure I would be OK for my surgery.

After my doctors visit I knew I had done the right thing. I was diagnosed with an easily treatable, mild chest infection. Had I left it unchecked the infection would have got worse, and would have been much harder to get rid of, maybe even requiring hospitalisation and I would have almost certainly missed my surgery. I guess the moral of the story is if in doubt, see your doctor. A yearly check up for everyone is a wise idea too. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment