Friday, April 2, 2010

Lots to think about...

So, in 31 days time I will be spending the night in hospital, awaiting the morning of my surgery, and aside from the doctors appointments in the interim, there is a long list of things that need to be done outside of preparing for the surgery. This one really caught me out about four years ago, when I went in to hospital to have a kidney stone removed in a procedure that should have kept me out of action for a week. However, things did not go to plan, and a three day hospital stay became three weeks!

In a three month period I had 23 nights in hospital and seven operations requiring either anaesthetic or sedation. It took four months to fully physically recover, and today I think that I still carry some mental scars that I don't know if I will ever recover from. So for four months I pretty much did nothing accept recover from surgery, and whilst I did that the rest of my life stopped. Unfortunately, the world didn't, which left things undone, or others to reign in the slack. I was lucky though. I had (and still have) many good people around to help.

So, in order to avoid a repeat performance I have decided to be prepared and get as much done before the surgery as possible. Please bare with me, in the last four years I have not had a surgery that has warranted such preparation, so for me this as much a learning process as it might be for you reading this.

I have broken the areas of my life down into four areas that I believe require attention. They are:-

  1. Other medical (treatments not relating to DBS)
  2. Work
  3. Family and self
  4. Personal obligations
Just from planning my blog I have found that most things I need to worry about will fit into one of these four broad categories. Next time I will talk about what I need to do to prepare with my other medical issues, and why t is important. Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment