Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lots to think about... Part 3

If you are currently sick and laid up in either hospital or at home work is probably the last thing on your mind. I hear you. Really I do. When I was in hospital for my three week lay up I couldn't care tuppence about work, and I run my own business! All I wanted to do was get all the tubes out of me, get home, get better and sleep in my own bed.

However, once I was better, work came back into focus and and I had a mountain of stuff to get back to that was overdue and in urgent need of attention. I was lucky that I had some great staff doing a great job, but there was some tasks only I could do and the lack of focus I had in the aftermath and the shoddy paperwork that ensued still haunts me today.

So how can I make this surgery experience different? Well first, I have come to the realisation that I had been struggling at work for quite some time, and carrying on trying to muscle through it was doing nobody any favours and was effecting my health. So after my surgery I will be taking an indefinite period of time away from my business which will help me to get my health back on track.

However, I still need to make sure that I plan my departure properly. I have to train people up to do the jobs that I do, and put certain checks in place to make sure that the money and banking is properly administered. Once I have this the way I want it I can head off for my surgery knowing that I have everything taken care of and there will be one less stress in my life when I am recovering. Next time I will talk about getting things ready from a personal perspective. Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment