Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lots to think about... Part 2

Bad news for sick people. It is statistically proven that if you have one serious chronic ailment, you are more likely to get a second. And yes, that includes me. I regularly see doctors, and get treated for cystinuria, CIDP, depression and essential tremor. I believe that in some way they are all linked, but none the less, they all require a different set of doctors and treatments.

Now with my up coming surgery, I am being treated for only one of these diseases (essential tremor) and during this process, this disease will not be neglected. However, the others might be. When I had my big surgery four years ago, I missed two doctors appointments and one treatment for my CIDP. This had the potential to be very counter productive and even dangerous. Doctors set your appointment schedule so they can best monitor how your disease is behaving and intervene early enough if something is wrong. Your treatment schedule is designed to achieve the best results. Luckily in my case, no permanent damage was done. But I don't want to put myself in that situation again.

So how can you prevent such a scenario? Well, firstly there is a lot you can do with the timing. I have seen or am seeing my doctors shortly so I will not have to see any of them for at least a month after the surgery. This way, I don't have to worry if things take a little longer than expected at the hospital. I have also timed my treatment for one week before the operation, so I won't need another one until three weeks afterwards.

The second thing that I can do is communicate with my doctors. If they know what is happening they can make decisions to alter my treatment if necessary. My wife is across all my doctor appointments, so if need be, she can make the arrangements. Well, next time I will talk about the importance of tieing things up at work. Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment