Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lots to think about... Part 4

Surgery affects the patient more than anyone else, no questions asked. The statement itself is so obvious it probably isn't even worthy of mention. But it does give rise to a statement that isn't nearly as obvious but still very important, and that is that surgery affects a lot of other people as well as the patient. Your friends, family, work colleagues, carers and other aquaintances can all be affected, and as a patient going through surgery it can be very easy to ignore how they feel. It is important that you don't, and the best way to ensure this is to prepare before surgery.

For me, the people that matter most are my wife and children. After my surgery, and I have been discharged from hospital, it will be my wife that will look after me. So how can I help? Well, preparation is the key. The more I can do now to get everything sorted out the better. This includes having our will updated, making sure that all bills are paid so we don't have anything to worry about when I am sick, a number of frozen meals are prepared and things are ready for me on my return from hospital. I am lucky though, m wife is great and looks after most of the things around the house anyway.

As for the kids, that is a different story. Last time I had surgery I read my kids a book called "Ben goes to Hospital", which outlines the process of going to hospital and is tailored for children. They both seemed fine and happy until the next day (the day of my surgery). My daughter was very clingy and said 'dad, I don't want you to go to hospital, you could die'. I assured her that I was not going to die, and that I had to go to hospital. The main point is they were not OK. I've since done a little research and decided that the I should be perfectly honest with them, be available to them when they want to ask questions even if it is a little inconvenient, but play it down as being routine. Kids understand more than we think, but there is know need to dwell on the negatives.

I have been overwhelmed by the number of friends and family who have shown genuine concern. I have been truly touched, and the fact that so many people care means an awful lot to me. Most people end up saying the same three things.
  1. Please let me know how it goes?
  2. Is there anything I can do to help?
  3. I wish you all the best and hope it all goes well.
Honestly, it is nearly impossible to individually catch up with so many people but luckily for me we live in the age of social media. I will keep all my news posted here, so I have been telling everyone just to read this blog. As for there help, it is great to know so many people are willing to help but in most cases it won't be needed. Still it is very comforting to know that I do have so much support that I can count on if needed.

Lastly, me. This is a huge thing for me. With out a doubt the biggest surgery I have ever had. So what do I need. Well, I have spent a lot of time researching the procedure, as I like to know exactly what is going on. I have also got myself in a position where my business can run without me, and had my will updated. Lastly, I have taken my family on holiday, and spent a lot of time catching up with friends and family before my surgery. Once I have done this I should be ready. I hope. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment