Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Waiting....

Well the day has finally arrived.  This morning I woke up  at the Senaca Hotel bright and early so I had time to get ready for my 7.30am appointment at the second floor of the Feinberg Pavilion.  Because I had my overnight bag and I was worried about being late we decided to catch a cab.

At around 7.45am we were greeted by the admissions representative who told us to sit tight whilst they tried to prepare a room for us, so we waited.  The waiting doesn't really bother me.  I know I'll be in here overnight so whether I wait now or later is really of no consequence.

At around 8.30 the rep came back and we were off to find my hospital room.  It was quite a hike.  We took the elevator down to the basement and from there we walked through the bowels of the hospital to the Prentice Women's Building where I am to undergo mobilisation chemotherapy.  At this point the admitting rep said his goodbyes and I was introduced to Marie, my Patient Care Technician (PCT) and Jon the RN.  After the standard formality with the paperwork and signing the necessary disclaimers, Jon hooked me up to the IV and started running fluids through.

At 11.00 Amy came in to ask me all the standard questions.  Do I have diabetes?  Do I smoke?  Have I ever had a toy car get stuck in my ear?  Have I ever got my hand caught in a vending machine?  (FYI, the answer is no to all)  She also ran me through the whole procedure and answered all my questions so I would know what to expect.

Now I am just waiting for the nurse to come in and get the ball rolling.  All the meds have been ordered, Dr Burt has signed off on everything, so all that's left to do is get this party started.  Well, infusion anyway.  Stay well:)

1 comment:

  1. As I've heard a few times, hurry up and wait!! Alice waited for hers until 10pm that night! Sigh, hang in there!
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete