Thursday, March 15, 2012

I was wrong

dI don't know what it is about boredom, but it blinds you to the obvious.  Just after I finished writing my post yesterday I suddenly realised that I had a bucket load to write about, I just hadn't figured it out yet.  It's funny how at times you can easily miss what is staring you right between the eyes.  And since I have not really done that much that is blog worthy I will divert my attention to another blog that I follow.  I have referred to this blog before and it belongs to Westby G Fisher MD.  I like the way he writes and he makes some interesting points.

This one point he makes is very interesting.  People shy away from the topic for the fear of being a sexist. But I don't think Dr Wes is a sexist.  Far from it.  But in this post he is just scratching the surface on what is a topic I believe needs far more attention.  His post is here:-

http://drwes.blogspot.com/2012/03/sexism-in-government-heart-health.html

Now the point I want to make here is that women are so much better than men at drawing attention to their health issues than men and good on women for doing it too.  I will use the breast cancer, prostate cancer example.  Both cancers effect a similar number of people, and both have similar death rates.

In Australia, there are two sporting events in Australia, pink footy day and Jane McGrath day at the AFL and cricket respectively.  Both days are designed to raise money and awareness for breast cancer, and they do a fantastic job doing it.  Commentators, players, officials and spectators alike all get behind it and the organisers can all give themselves a pat on the back because they do a fantastic job.

My point is why is prostate cancer or other mens health issues not given the same amount of media exposure?  I mean football and cricket are both sports that have a definite male skew, so why are these sports not utilised to communicate what is a male problem?

I'll tell you why.  Because men are lousy at speaking out about their health issues.  I don't know what it is.  Whether we are embarrassed or ashamed or lazy or prefer to just deal with these things by themselves or all of the above, but our health issues just don't get the same coverage.  So I've put a few ideas on what men can do to help themselves.

  1. If you think something is wrong, get it checked.  You help yourself and the people just like you by getting in the system and beefing up the statistics.
  2. Get a check up.  Officially I have one every 12 months.  Did you know that women account for 60% of all doctors appointments.  By looking after yourself you can help redress this imbalance and bring attention to men and their problems.
  3. You don't need to have a great idea, just follow the ideas of others.  THere is strength in numbers.
  4. Support by showing awareness or giving money.
These are but a few ideas.   As for women, we could really use your help or just keep doing what you're doing.  It is up to us men to catch up.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment