Friday, March 16, 2012

Harvest Eve

Tomorrow will be a big day.  It is stem cell harvest time.  I am looking forward to it too.  I have taken my antibiotics and anti-fungals and thanks to mum I have had my neupogen shots everyday.  I only have two more injections left and then I'm done.

Given what I've read from other peoples experiences, some have found it really hard, with nausea, bone pain and general discomfort being par for the course.  If anything the only symptoms I have suffered are a small amount of nausea and a touch of lethargy.  As for bone pain, I may have had a few aches and pains but I have to say that it was probably all in my mind as I really feel that if no one had told me about the side effect I wouldn't have felt anything.

So bring on tomorrow.  I need to be at interventional radiology tomorrow bright and early at 7.30am.  There they will insert a temporary catheter line into my subclavical artery.  Once that is done I make my way to the blood centre to be hooked up to the apheresis machine.  Here, I will have my stem cells harvested.

They are going for at least 2 million stem cells which shouldn't be a problem as most people get way over that amount harvested and my blood tests have looked pretty good.  Well, I've got an early start in the morning so I should get some sleep.  So goodnight and stay well:)

2 comments:

  1. Alright Andrew, now is the time to get those stem cells crackin' Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and may your numbers be plentiful

    ReplyDelete