Sunday, March 4, 2012

Proactive

Dr Burt is a hard man to tie down just to chew the fat about stuff.  He is always on the go and busy as a man can be.  So when I had my bone marrow biopsy done I decided that it was a good time to tie him down and ask a him a couple of questions.  After all it is not like he could just up and leave half way through performing a medical procedure.

Now I have a list of questions as long as your arm for Dr Burt, but I thought I would just start with one of them as time was of the essence and it is easy to be distracted when you have someone drilling a hole in your butt.

So what was my first question?  Before I tell you I think it best to set a bit of a background as to how I got to want to ask this.  If you hadn't noticed I have blogged a lot recently about Rare Diseases and the Global Genes Project.  There are so many rare diseases out there that are severely debilitating and life changing.  Now I have two of them, but I feel that there are others out there that also suffer and there is very little out there to help them.  Now I want to help and I feel I might have found a way to help a few.  Now there are over 7000 rare diseases and I don't ever expect to be able to help all of them, but I do think there I might be able to help some and you've got to start somewhere right?

Enter Dr Burt.  His programs helps people with all kinds of autoimmune diseases and I am lucky enough to make it onto his CIDP program.  Now one of the issues that faces Dr Burt is that although the treatment is the similar for all autoimmune disorders, each disease needs its own protocol and each disease needs its own FDA approval to make it to trial.  That is a lot of work, needless bureaucracy and paperwork.

Now I felt that some people were missing out on getting in on a trial because they had a really rare disease that was autoimmune in nature but so rare it did not make it onto the protocol.  So I talked to Dr Burt about protocols for the really rare autoimmune diseases and in our short discussion we came up with idea of having one protocol for all the extremely super rare autoimmune diseases.  Independently, these diseases are too obscure for any real research into treatment options, but together, they could gain admittance onto Dr Burt's trial and potentially give them a treatment that could make a real difference in their lives.

I am a big fan of what Dr Burt has done/is doing.  Results so far have been impressive, and the more diseases that can be covered by his study and the more people that enter the study under all protocols, the faster they can get this treatment to be a part of mainstream medicine the better for all sufferers.  So in order to help Dr Burt I said I would compile a list of rare autoimmune diseases for him so he could get a start on it.

Now of course not every autoimmune disease can qualify.  If there is too much evidence that the disease is not autoimmune or the disease is not aggressive enough, it might not qualify.  But that is not for me or you to decide,  Dr Burt and his team, the ethics committee at North Western University and the FDA will make that decision.  But in order to put this list together I need your help.  The nature of a rare disease means that I probably haven't heard of it, so if you or someone you know suffers from an autoimmune disease please let me know what it is by leaving a comment on this post.

Please do not leave a message for me if your disease is on one of the lists below (If it is your disease is already on my radar) or your disease is not autoimmune or suspected to be autoimmune.  The lists are as follows:-

Diseases already covered by Dr Burt's trial-

  1. Antiphospholipid Syndrome
  2. Autoimmune Bullous Skin Disorders
  3. Autoimmune-Relared Retinopaty
  4. CIDP
  5. Crohn's Disease
  6. Devic's Disease
  7. Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathy Diseases
  8. Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency Type 1
  9. Morphea
  10. Multiple Sclerosis
  11. Myasthenia Gravis
  12. Optic Neuropathy
  13. Primary Biliary Cirrhosis
  14. Pulmonary Fibrosis
  15. Rheumatoid Arthritis
  16. Sarcoidosis
  17. Scleroderma
  18. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
  19. Systemic Necrotizing Vasculitis
  20. Type 1 Diabetes
  21. Critical Limb Ischemia
Other Autoimmune Diseases (courtesy of CIDPUSA)

  1. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) 
  2. Alzheimers 
  3. Alopecia areata
  4. Ankylosing spondylitis
  5. Aneurysms 
  6. Arthritis
  7. Antiphospholipid Syndrome  
  8. Addison’s Disease
  9. Autoimmune polyendocrinopathy
  10. Hemolytic Anemia 
  11. Inner Ear Disease 
  12. Lymphoproliferative  Syndrome (ALPS)
  13. Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ATP)
  14. Autism or Autistic disorder 
  15. Hemolytic anemia
  16. Hepatitis
  17. Oophoritis
  18. Behçet's disease
  19. Bullous Pemphigoid
  20. Cardiomyopathy
  21. Crohn's disease
  22. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  23. Dermatomyositis
  24. Diabetes mellitus, type 1
  25. Epilepsy Autoimmune
  26. Kawasaki's Disease
  27. Glomerulonephritis
  28. Graves' disease
  29. Goodpasture's syndrome
  30. Guillain-Barré syndrome
  31. Inflammatory bowel disease
  32. Lupus nephritis
  33. Multiple sclerosis
  34. Myasthenia gravis
  35. Myocarditis
  36. Parkinson diseases
  37. PANDAS
  38. Pemphigus/pemphigoid
  39. Pernicious anemia
  40. Polyarteritis nodosa
  41. Polymyositis
  42. Primary biliary cirrhosis
  43. Psoriasis
  44. Relapsing Polychondritis
  45. Rheumatic fever
  46. Rheumatoid arthritis
  47. Sarcoidosis
  48. Scleroderma
  49. Sjögren's syndrome
  50. Systemic lupus erythematosus
  51. Thyroiditis
  52. Ulcerative colitis
  53. Uveitis
  54. Vitiligo
  55. Wegener's granulomatosis
  56. Wilsons Disease
The following links may be useful to you:-

8 comments:

  1. Wow Andy, I am truly impressed and humbled by your desire to reach out to so many! I surely hope and will pray that you are as successful as possible! My heart is full for your care and determination to help so many people. God bless you!
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My doctor thinks I have Sarcoidosis, but he must run some more tests. It was a progressive disease that got really bad. Just a fast question is there any hope for a cure. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Epstein Barr/chronic fatigue syndrome?
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MNM, there is a trial going for Sarcoidosis. If you check out the clinical trials link you will be able to see the inclusion/exclusion criteria to see whether you qualify.

    Is it a cure?

    That is a really good question. Some patients that have been through the trials say they have been cured, but the doctors are a lot more reserved in their judgement.

    In my opinion provided the treatments work the way they are supposed to all the antibodies in your blood that attack your body are destroyed and the stem cells replace them with brand new ones that will not attack you. After then it is up to your body to repair itself.

    So if you take diabetes type one where the antibodies attack the insulin producing glands, the treatment will replace the bad antibodies. However, after about six months those insulin producing glands are damaged beyond repair so diabetes will still be a part of your life.

    In short, your recovery is basically up to your own bodies ability to repair itself. Hope this helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy, CFS is on the list. Epstein Barr I believe is viral, but I will check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, did some very quick research and from what I understand EBV is not an autoimmune disease, but can cause an AID. Process goes:-
    EBV contracted
    EBV triggers autoimmune response
    Response counters EBV
    Response also causes immune system to attack host
    AID is born
    I will however take this up with Dr Burt just to make sure I have it right.
    Cheers
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying Andrew. I pray that God will heal you.

      Delete
  7. Andy,
    Interesting for sure. This is so neat, what you are trying to accomplish! Cheers to YOU!
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete