Friday, March 2, 2012

Biopsy

I tried to take video of my biopsy, but it didn't come out right so you're just going to have to take my written summation of events.  As with most medical procedures I have I like to do my research before I go in.  This time, I wished I hadn't.  I decided to watch the procedure on youtube the night before which was a mistake as it meant I got a first hand glimpse of the terrifyingly large needle they used to take the biopsy and also the patient that they videoed did an awful lot of whining.  Needless to say my mindset was skewed negative before I had even started.

My biopsy had been booked in for 12.30 but they wanted me to get there half an hour early for preparation.  Paula arrived first, then Dr Burt followed by the pathology nurse.  They had me take off my shoes and jeans then lie down on the treatment table.  The first thing that they did was put in some local anaesthetic which was good as the thought of having someone drill out a portion of my bone without would be quite painful.

After the anaesthetic had been administered Dr Burt checked the area to make sure the area was suitably numbed and then he did it.  He shoved a big stick in my arse.  It wasn't so much painful as uncomfortable and as happens many times when I have procedures like this, I started to sweat.  And not just normal sweats, big time sweats that I could feel running down my forehead.

The first thing they did was drain some of the fluid out of my bone marrow followed by the main event where he took a chunk of my bone out.  It didn't hurt much at all.  The most unsettling thing was the scratching sensation.  I didn't like that at all.  It was almost like the grinding of teeth.

And that was pretty much it.  All the needles were removed, gauze was placed on the needle sight and then I was made to sit on my butt for ten minutes as a way to apply pressure.  They fetched me a glass of water, and finally I was allowed to go.  Now the procedure was not as bad as I had first imagined, but you certainly wouldn't do it for fun.  A day later I would be lying if I said my bum was not sore, but all I have to show for it is a little red dot.  I have to go back to the hospital today for more blood work and it will be a cab ride.  I certainly do not feel up to walking that far.  Until next time, stay well:)

8 comments:

  1. I remember watching & holding my husband's hand when he had to get them. He had quite a few for his leukemia! Yuck, not fun!
    When do they expect results?
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So not as much of a pain in the butt as you thought then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mooey, it wasn't nearly as bad as when nurse Helga the russian shot putter put in a catheter that looked about 3 inches wide;) But I'm sure you know all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THanks Wendy, results were all good:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The C word makes me shudder everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this standard operating procedure for the stem cell trans. or did they suspect something else? Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. Apparently my SPEP test threw up a red flag that is very common in people with CIDP. That red flag can also be a pre-cursor to cancer, so they like to check it out thoroughly with a bone marrow biopsy. If your SPEP is normal they won't do the biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Andy. I used to be a Med Tech. I had the pleasure of seeing a few thoracic ones. It wasn't pretty!MaryB

    ReplyDelete