Saturday, March 24, 2012

Baldness and Bruising

I know some people bruise easy.  I have seen pictures some people have been kind enough to put on medical forums where people have had a simple IV insertion and the remnant has been a bruise the size of a tennis ball.  I am not one of them.  Most times I do not bruise from an IV and when I have it has just been a small purpley mark no more than a centimetre.  Others can get bruises of all shapes, sizes and colours.

The intravenous catheter was different.  I don't know why, but it was dark, big and painful.  It was the first time I had had an intravenous catheter, and it did make me consider the merits over the simple two IV placements I had when ever I had been hooked up to the apherises machine.  But that is another post for another time.  I feel my comparison of the two methods could be beneficial to others that might be confronted with the choice in the future.  But that is a post for another time.  A picture of my bruise is here:-

The bruise was biggest on day two post harvest, this picture was taken on day four.  It is now seven days since harvest and the bruise is still there although not nearly as prominent.

The other thing that has started to happen is that I have started to bald.  Now either I have a huge case of rapid onset male pattern baldness or the chemo has started to have its very common yet unwanted side effect.  They said it normally kicked in around ten days after chemotherapy if it was going to.  I thought I'd got away with it because I was up to day seventeen post mobilisation chemo and it only just started.

I woke up this morning and my pillow was covered in hair.  I tried taking a picture of it but it didn't come out very well.  After my shower I noticed my towel attracted a lot of hair too but that picture didn't work either.  So I shook my head over the sink and lots of hair came out and I got a picture of that:-


I think the worst part is it itches over my shoulders and behind my neck, but that is a small price to pay.  Until next time, stay well:)


1 comment:

  1. hi andrew,
    i dealt with hair loss day 10 for my entire back of my head and day 11 was the entire front of my head. i had hsct in israel. the hair is all coming back thick as before, darker (i was coloring my hair before so i am not sure of the color) i think.
    heidi strauss
    wisconsin

    ReplyDelete