Sunday, March 4, 2012

Science and Industry Museum

One thing I love about the museums here in Chicago is the way they look from the outside.  The Adler Planetarium was an awesome dome shaped building out on a spit into lake Michigan.  The Field Museum and the Science and Industry Museum are both large magnificent looking building that truly look majestic in nature, made of a beautiful sandstone with large pillars out the front.  It is exactly what one would expect a museum to look like.  All three of them fit right in with the wonderful architecture that this city has to offer.

But today I am talking about the museum of science and industry.  It did not disappoint.  As far as my museum experiences go here in Chicago I am now shooting three for three.  Again, the biggest problem that I had was time.  There was way too much to see in one day so I think that I will have to go back to finish off seeing all the exhibits.

When I went to the Field Museum I made the mistake of paying for the extra exhibits, this time I did not and I wished I had.  One of the most fantastic exhibits I have ever seen in any museum anywhere was the exhibit of submarine U505.  The exhibit told a story that was both engaging and educational.  It was brilliantly displayed with all kind of different ways of displaying the material.  It really was a treat.  Unfortunately if you wanted to go inside the submarine that cost extra, but by the time I was there I really wanted to go inside.

The other funny thing was that it said I should give half an hour for the exhibit.  I had an hour and twenty minutes until I was due at the auditorium to watch storm chasers and I ran out of time.  It was that good.  If I manage to get back I will take another look and take the tour inside the submarine.

As I just said, after the submarine I went to see storm chasers at the auditorium.  The auditorium was one of these massive dome shaped screens.  It wasn't 3D, but you felt surrounded by the screen which was extremely effective.  The movie was quite spectacular too.  Some of the footage they got was quite spectacular.

After the movie was over I some how ended up in the space exhibit if you can believe that.  They had great displays from the early pioneers of the space program right through to the future of space travel.  I got lost in that one for over an hour too.  After that I had time for a couple of the more minor exhibits and then it was time to go.  I will have more for you from Andy and his wonderful Chicago adventure tomorrow.  Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment