Friday, July 2, 2010

Onwards and Upwards - Part 2

I had another first last week where I went to the rehab clinic for the first time. No, this wasn't the Betty Ford clinic or anything, this rehab clinic was mainly for the elderly, car accident victims, stroke victims etc.

The first person I talked to was the physiotherapist. This was mainly an assessment of my current capabilities. I did some strength tests (pushing against the physio in a certain direction) and some balance tests (stand on one leg and close your eyes). They also observed me walking. I must be quite a hard case for them as my capabilities change depending on the stimulator.

Next, I saw the occupational therapist. Again, this was an assessment of my current capabilities but this was less physical and more simple questioning, where she tried to figure out tasks that were difficult for me so we can develop strategies to make them easier.

The next step will be for the physio and the OT to develop a plan that will assist me in combating my balance issues and developing strategies to assist me in making everyday tasks easier. I will know more tomorrow when I go back for what is my first treatment. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Next time I'll talk about my final two doctors visits, which includes a really awesome stimulator adjustment setting. Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment