Monday, July 5, 2010

Onwards and Upwards - Part 3

My final two doctors visits were to the neuro surgeon and the neurologist. The surgeons visit was a fairly routine post op visit. He just wanted to see the stimulator in action and check there were no complications, which luckily, there weren't. I also got the green light to exercise, swim, drive and fly! I have my freedom back which one does not respect until it is taken away. I see him again in twelve months.

The other visit, which was to the neurologist was far more entertaining. Finally, I think I have broken the back of my programming conundrum! This has been a great step forward to me as the last six weeks have been rather frustrating and my impatience was growing. Now, not only do I have a the opportunity to vary my setting a little around where the doctor feels I have the best benefit, I have two completely different settings.

They are labelled A and B. A, gives me the maximum tremor control I can hope for, but along with that comes the lack of co-ordination, slowness and unsteadiness that I have had great issues with. So when I am sitting down, eating, drinking or writing etc, it is the setting of choice.

On setting B I have only limited tremor control, but the co-ordination problems are almost non-existent so I can pretty much do everything that I could before with just a little less tremor. This is great for when I'm up and about like cooking in the kitchen, driving or at the shops.

After this setting adjustment I finally have felt like the whole process of the surgery has definitely been worth it. I feel as though I have a better quality of life, and although there will be other setting adjustments to come, the back has been broken, so look out world here I come!

Next time it will be back to the hospital reviews. Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment