Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Austin Hospital

I came to stay at the Austin Hospital in unfortunate circumstances. After two operations and over a week at Warringal Private, I had a complication with massive bleeding into my kidney. The procedure I needed could not be done at Warringal, so I was shipped off by ambulance to the Austin.

It was early morning and I had already been through the ringer and I got pushed through the bowels of the hospital on a trolley to radiology where they performed a procedure to fix the bleed in my kidney. It was one of the most horrid experiences of my life. Not only was I down a litre of blood I felt like death warmed up, and the small dungeon style area that I had to wait in felt cold and cramped. To top it all off I had none of my own belongings, and I was wearing nothing but the hospital issue gown. The only thing that identified me was my wrist band.

I felt alone and frightened and I had no idea what was going to happen next. But don't be too alarmed, the hospital is not that bad, just the circumstances in which I was there. Once my procedure had been finished I was sent to the ward. There were four beds as I was now in the public system and it showed. Everything was either good or bad and sometimes both. For example, the nurses. Some of them were brilliant, others not so. Also, I could get Foxtel! But I had to pay for it.

Once I had figured out the nurses and paid for TV I have to say that it was all pretty good. I was not bothered by being in a four bed room either, but all the guys I shared with were all very nice. The best thing however was the food which was great. The best I have ever had in a public hospital.

Overall, the hospital was very good, but you always felt like you were in a hospital, there was little homeliness. If I had the choice I would stay at Warringal. Until next time, stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment