Sunday, May 9, 2010

Oh the Humiliation!

It was Saturday morning, Grandpa had taken my son to football training, and my wife was getting ready to take my daughter to gymnastics and then on to a birthday party. Being a dutiful husband and having just woken up from my mid morning post brain surgery recovery sleep I thought I should help her get ready. So I made sure that my daughter was ready to go, had put her shoes on and got in the car, which she did. By this time my wife had packed her basket and was ready to go. She sat in the drivers seat and wound down the window and asked me if I could do my daughters seat belt up. This is a task I had performed a hundred times before, but this time something happened.

Just after I had clicked my daughter in place, my complacency got the better of me and as I stood up I cracked my head on the roof of the car. I got myself right on the staples and yes, it hurt like hell. I eventually managed to compose myself and after refraining from a barrage of four letter words (because of the presence of my four year old daughter) I looked up at the two girls in my life.

I expected panicked or shocked looks, at least a modicum of concern on their faces. But no. Neither one of them had moved an inch, they were both sitting there in their car seats laughing. Women can be so mean. Oh the humiliation. After what seemed like an eternity my wife eventually asked if I was OK. She already knew the answer though. I was fine, the bump was just extremely painful.

The point I want to make though is that even when you are down (because of an illness or surgery or whatever) it is important not to lose your sense of humour and not take yourself too seriously. I had two choices. I could go back inside the house and sulk or I could join in the joke and shrug it off with a laugh. I decided to pick my wounded pride up off the floor and join in the laugh. Surgery and illness can add a great burden to your life but it doesn't have to change the person that you are. You didn't have a choice in becoming sick, but the choices you can make effect the sort of person that you are. Choose wisely. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment