Monday, May 24, 2010

First Setting Adjustment

So last week I went back to Dr Peppards for my first stimulator adjustment. As I am not yet allowed to drive my dutiful wife took me in, which was nice. Normally I attend these things by myself, but I must admit it was nice to have the company. Luckily we got a park right outside and we arrived just in time which mattered not, because the Dr was running late as usual. Like a bride on her wedding day, I think doctors run late on purpose just to let you know who's the boss.

After about fifteen minutes we got in to see Dr Peppards nurse Mary, and she immediately started playing with the settings to try and get a better result. The first thing she did was whack the setting up to0 four and I instantly started tingling in my arms and teeth, then I just felt really dizzy. I also had a much more unpleasant side effect, I started to sweat a lot. Luckily this passed when we stopped playing with the stimulator.

Another thing Mary did was to try another lead. Down each electrode there are four points which can be used to stimulate the brain. They are about four millimetres apart, and they try and put the last lead right on what they believe to be the best spot. When she tried the second lead up I got an irresistible urge to turn my head up and to the left. It was like some one was turning my head for me. As soon as Mary turned off the stimulator the sensation stopped. My wife thought I was going to have a fit.

After about fifteen more minutes Dr Peppard came in and we settled on the lowest lead with a setting of 1.6 on the left and 2.5 on the right. Don't ask me what the measurements are in, I don't know. Anyway, in another two weeks I'll go back to see him again for more setting changes. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment