Friday, May 4, 2012

Week 3

So sue me!  I haven't blogged for a while.  But I guess that should be a clue in itself.  Don't worry, I haven't been slowly dying or anything, I have just been super tired.  I am still getting up in the morning and by the time I have showered and dressed and made it to the family room I'm exhausted and about all I can manage is to lie down on the couch and rest.

And that is about the story of my life at the moment.  Do something, have a rest.  Go to the bath room, have a rest.  Eat something, have a rest.  I am comfortably sleeping more than 12 hours a day.  On the good side when I'm resting, either in bed or on the couch I feel perfectly normal, it is not until I start doing stuff that I realise I am still recovering and it is going to be a while before I'm back to normal.

However, if I am to hasten my recovery I have to start being more active.  But it does have to be measured.  Too much and my body will regress or I will get sick, which is what I think happened when I travelled home.  I think it was just too much.  Too little, and I may hinder my recovery.

But, the main thing is I'm getting stronger everyday, but I don't think it will be an overnight fix.  I think it will take a deal of time.  How much?  Well, your guess is as good as mine, but while I'm home and dare I say it "feel human" I can wait.  My blood work is still seriously out of kilter.  When I got last weeks results reading down the list nearly every item had either an 'L' for low or a 'H' for high next to it and also bolded just to hit home that the test was abnormal.  I think my blood work returning to some form of normality will dictate my recovery.

As for my appetite, I am pleased to say I have not felt nauseated in a few days now.  I am eating three meals a day, but I find I am not really that hungry at breakfast or dinner but lunch I'm ok.  Portion size is down on all meals still, but I am eating an adequate amount.  The other funny thing (which is probably good) is the cravings I've been having.  I believe that when your recovering from illness you need to listen to your cravings as they are trying to tell your body what it needs.  I have been craving simple fresh foods like vegetables, cheese (just plain old cheddar, nothing fancy) and good quality meats.  Off the menu has been chocolate, desserts and coffee.  So I have been eating remarkably healthy although less.  Another plus side to this whole saga is that I have lost eight kilos!  See honey, I told you I'd lose weight;)  The question is will I keep it off?

On another not so good note my suppressed immune system managed to let a urinary tract infection (UTI) through the guard.  Being cystinuric I am no stranger to a UTI so luckily I caught the symptoms early and got to the doctor soon for a course of antibiotics.  However, this was the first UTI I have ever had where I have not been symptomatic with a kidney stone or post kidney surgery.  However the antibiotics seem to have done the job.  I am no longer symptomatic and in that respect I feel fine.  Well I think that is about it for now.  Until next time, stay well:)

1 comment:

  1. Andy, you take as much time as you need to blog. I haven't done any either. There's time. You just concentrate on getting better!
    Sounds like you're heading in the right direction!
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete