Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Nice Meeting

Today I had a lovely meeting with fellow HSCT survivor Carmel Turner.  Carmel had Multiple Sclerosis and had her SCT about a year ago.  Since then she has enjoyed a steady recovery which is fantastic for her.  We had a great chat, mainly about all things neurological and SCT and the problems with the Australian medical industry.

I admire Carmel.  I had to work really hard to get myself to Chicago for an SCT.  Ironically I think Carmel had to fight even harder than I did to get herself in a program right here in Australia.  I think it just goes to show that although there are many good things about the Australian health care system one of their problems is the conservative ideology and antiquated thinking.  Why is a life saving and life improving procedure so hard to have done?

Why should out dated methodologies be promoted against newer methods that have been proven in academic and medical literature.  Albeit overseas.  The thing is the papers and the studies are legitimate and if I can find them then surely anyone (and by anyone I mean doctors) should be able to find them too.  After all, aren't doctors supposed to stay abreast of medical innovation?  If I was a doctor I think I would be extremely excited for both medicine and my patients if I learned this information.

I congratulate Carmel for getting it done.  Being sick and having treatment is difficult enough but with the help of her husband Scott she battled the administration and did not just get what she wanted, she got what she needed.  Unfortunately, there are many that don't.  Anyway, it was great to meet her and wonderful to see first hand how HSCT has helped someone.  Until next time, stay well:)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Andrew!!! As an Aussie, I am soooooooooooooo fortunate to have Carmel within co-ee for advice, support and regular reminders, subtly of course!!! of what I need to keep doing to grab hold of this opportunity.So thankyou Carmel and thankyou Andrew for all your great posts - and I trust you're really loving your new lease on life!!!!
    trust your're enjoying Victoria!
    Sammi :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew

    What a great article. I agree completely.

    Carmel & Scott work tirelessly to help others. They are indeed very special.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete