Saturday, May 12, 2012

Week 4

Improvement has continued which is great.  The fatigue and tiredness seem to be a little less, but if I have a burst of activity I will normally have to have a rest in order to recuperate.  Another good thing is the UTI I had has cleared up but might have left a nasty side effect.  The antibiotics that they gave me for the UTI also clean out the good bacteria in your intestines which allow the bad bacteria to proliferate.

As a result I have been having lots of diarrhoea.  I have raised this with the good people in Chicago and also my doctors here and they agree that I should have a test for clostridium difficile (C-diff) the bacteria that normally grows in the absence of good bacteria.  I should get the results on Monday.  The irony is that in order to treat c-diff which was caused by antibiotics, the treatment is, yes, you guessed it, more antibiotics.  But I hope it is diagnosed quickly as I am getting tired of the diarrhoea all the time.

The other question I have been asking myself a lot is has the procedure worked?  Well, it is a difficult question to answer so I will make it the subject of my next post.  Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment