Sunday, August 29, 2010

Rehab

To tell you the truth, I had a hard time accepting the fact that I needed rehab. First, I was a victim of my own ignorance. I thought rehab was for Matt Newton, Lindsay Lohan or Ben Cousins. People with substance abuse problems, and although I have enjoyed a drink from time to time, I have never taken drugs and do not fall into this category.

But as I said, I was a victim of my own ignorance. Rehab is for people with a wide range of disorders. Most of the patients were either car accident victims, stroke sufferers (or other brain injury patients) or elderly patients that had had a fall. In fact, the facility that I went to did not treat addiction.

The second problem that I had was simply accepting that I needed to go to rehab. I am 35 years old, and I have looked after myself. Up until I got sick I was active fit and healthy. I ate well and did not abuse my body. Rehab is for old people or those who have not looked after themselves, or for an unlucky few have been in an accident. I fell into none of those categories.

I understand that these thoughts do sound selfish, and if I strip them down, they are. But I think all sick people feel cheated in some way, and I have decided to share how I feel for two reasons.

First, even when you think your feelings are selfish ad unfair I feel it is so important to address them and talk about them. Bottling them up is not good for you, just make sure you choose wisely who, when and where you share your feelings.

Secondly, I cannot convey to you all how I feel if I don't share all of it, and by addressing how I feel I can deal with it and move on. So how do I move on?

I start by addressing my issues. It is not fair that I need rehab, and by telling myself that I validate how I am feeling. But there is nothing I can do about it and rehab will be good for me. So swallow my pride and get on with it. Earl Woods told Tiger Woods that when he hit a bad shot he could be angry at himself for ten steps, after that he needed to focus on what needed to be done afterwards. The same applies here. Be angry and validate your feelings, but afterwards you must look ahead.

Next time I will share with you my actual experience with rehab. Oh, and if you are curious, my hands are feeling better, but I think this is a problem that will resurface again. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment