Monday, August 30, 2010

My first day at rehab

So I sucked up my pride, told myself that what I was doing was good for me and off I went to Epworth rehabilitation hospital in Camberwell. Now, I have never been to a rehab facility before (as a patient or other) so I did not know what to expect, but my opinion was highly favourable.

I don't know if this was simply because the staff were really nice or it was genuinely a good facility, but I can't say for sure as I have no basis of comparison, but one thing for sure is that the staff were really great.

Before I arrived I had been given an outline of who I was going to see, and my first appointment was with the physio, a delightful, warm and caring person called Tiana. For this session we took some measurements of my strength and balance, and also discussed what I wished to achieve. From here she developed a plan for me for future visits. I will elaborate more in future posts.

After the physio I met with Delia, another delightful, warm and caring person who is an occupational therapist. We talked about what made my day to day living hard and what could be done to make it easier. We wrote a list of goals I wanted to achieve and from here she also developed a plan. I will also elaborate on this further in future posts.

Overall, my first experience with rehab was positive. I understood what the process was and what it was designed to achieve. More importantly, I didn't feel like an ability impaired person who was the pity of society. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment