Sunday, June 6, 2010

Warners Bay Private

When I first was diagnosed with my kidney problem my urologist at the time wanted me to go to Warners Bay Private for two reasons. First, he had a regular weekly list there and second, it was the only hospital in Newcastle with a lithotripsy machine.

I was lucky. Warners Bay was a good hospital, but before you run off there keep in mind that the last time I was admitted was 1998, and if you are thinking about surgery I recommend you do your own research.

So, why was I lucky. I first went to this hospital in 1994 and back then I simply trusted the system and my doctor to make the right decisions. Now I was slightly restricted in my decision because at the time lithotripsy was the best surgical treatment for me, but I also had a few other surgeries and I could have chosen to have those elsewhere. If that were me now I would certainly do some research to find out what my options were.

Anyway, why was Warners Bay a good hospital. First, the day surgery unit was only for day surgery patients. If I was admitted over night they would send me to the ward first so I could settle in. Second, food and entertainment were good, but most importantly, back then the staff were excellent. I was also possible to go for a walk in the gardens outside.

On the downside, they had one two and four bed wards and what you got was a lottery and the wards were simply along the main corridor so it was always quite noisy and you had a lot of sticky beaking in your room.

Stay tuned for the next edition of ShakesandStones where I will critique the Sydney Adventist Hospital which is by far and away the worst hospital I have ever been to. I will explain next time, so it should make for an entertaining read. Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment