Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Fantastic Trip

Although I'm still away our overseas trip is coming to a close and I think it is safe to say that we all had a really great time.  I really think it is amazing how much we managed to pack into our holiday and I have to say I'm looking forward to the end now and returning home.  It is hard to believe that whilst I have been away I have surprised myself with what I have been able to accomplish.

I think that the first thing that has struck me is my stamina.  I noticed this at my fellow CIDPer and HSCT recipient Bob's survivor party when I was able to stand for a long period of time without my stick and more incredibly not looking for a chair.  Prior to my stem cell transplant the best I could have done would have been about ten minutes before I had to sit down.  Now, just the simple act of standing does not bother me.

The second thing I noticed was my ability to walk long distances.  In my travels we have visited Disneyland, Chicago, London and Paris and I have to say that without the use of a car we walked everywhere.  I didn't manage to measure the lengths of my walks but if I was to hazard a guess I would probably say the the maximum distance would have been about 10 kilometres.  I also managed to scale to the top of the Arc de Triomphe which would have been about 300 steps.

But probably my biggest success would have been in the re-ignation of an old time passion of mine.  These days in the UK the country is slowly filling up with indoor ski slopes.  Now it is no comparison to the lavish and vast ski slopes of Europe or America, but for someone in my position it was perfect.  A gentle slope of about 200 metres.  Certainly no where near the challenges I would confront myself with 15 years ago but under the circumstances, probably the most daunting skiing experience I have ever had.

Now I am not in the business of overcoming one medical issue (CIDP) and replacing it with another (like a broken leg).  But it was on my to do list so I wanted to get it done.  So off I went with my brother, an accomplished skier in his own right, to have a crack.  I have to say the first couple of runs were really tough, but the return to form was quite successful and the improvement was substantial by the time our hour was out and it was time to be ushered off the snow.  Saying that the standard I achieved was no where near where it used to be but there will be another time and who know where that will take me?

Anyway, tomorrow we return to Australia after a wonderful and successful trip.  It will be good to be home and hopefully you will hear from me more often once I return.  Until then, stay well:)

2 comments:

  1. How awesome Andy! So extremely happy for you! I'm not that active yet but not pushing myself either! Go get 'em! Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really happy for you all,next time put a stop over in Hong Kong in your itinerary!
    Rob and Jo

    ReplyDelete