Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A surprising consultation

If you read my post titled "Welcome to purgatory" last year, you would have realised that I had a less than happy consultation with my neurologist.  To cut a long story short I felt like I was ignored and my neurologist was so anti the idea of a stem cell transplant that she wasn't going to help.  From here I ended up getting all the information for a stem cell transplant together by myself and sending it off to Chicago.  Looking back maybe I was a little hot headed and I could have been a little more diplomatic about the situation but what I did got me the treatment as soon as possible, so I'm glad I did it.

So last week I when I went back to see her I expected one of two things.  First, she would have a real go at me and refuse to treat me, in which case I was prepared for a huge argument or second for her to be super clinical, do the consultation and send me on my way.  I had a plan for this scenario too.  But what she did really took me by surprise.

So what did she do?  She was really complimentary of my tenacity and decision to go and get the procedure done.  I certainly hadn't prepared for that eventuality so I didn't really know how to take it.  We had a good chat and I think she was genuinely intrigued and looking forward to seeing the improvement.

However, it is always hard to get a read on doctors.  They hide their emotions away so I found it hard to get a read on her body language or the tone of her voice so I couldn't really know if she was just saying the words or actually meant it.  Personally I'd like to think she meant it and I believe it to be the truth.  She was very keen to get all my Chicago notes and looking forward to getting the results of my next nerve conduction test in September, which will be the topic of my next blog.

Although I ironically felt under prepared for the consultation as it didn't take any of the avenues I had envisaged, I was buoyed by the meeting.  So far the follow up care in Australia has been great from all the doctors I have seen, and I hope that my experience can assist the medical fraternity here in Australia to accept the benefits of stem cell transplants for AID's.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment