Friday, June 29, 2012

A sad week.

I hope these things don't happen in threes.  Last week I had two friends pass away, and whilst neither were 'besties', I found it quite sad as I not only contemplated my own mortality, but was thankful for being able to receive  treatment that I continue to recover from that has potentially saved my life.

Basil was a wonderful man who passed away in his 80's.  A veteran of WWII, an active member of the RSL and a veteran firefighter, it is safe to say Basil lived a full and eventful life.  I really liked Basil, if we were ever at a social gathering together (which happened quite frequently courtesy of my wonderful socialite mother in law) I found I always gravitated towards Basil as it was a guarantee of a warm, friendly and interesting conversation.

I met Jimmy as a fresh 19 year old university student.  I had recently joined the university waterski club and Jimmy, being a veteran member, was a couple of years older than me.  About six months after that Jimmy finished his degree and moved to Sydney.  As a result he resigned his post on the executive of the waterski club which left an opening.  Given that there were more senior people in line for the position I was not going to throw my hat in the ring but Jimmy had decided I would be the best person for the job and convinced me to have a go.  Not only did he do that he also ensured I had enough votes to win.  Jimmy was always fun.  His presence meant a good fun time was guaranteed and tragically cancer cut his life short.

Although both these men were quite different they had a few things in common.  Most notably, they both enjoyed life and lived it to the fullest.  If there is one thing to learn from them that is it.  Everyone of us only has one life and when your time is up that's it.  So, make the most of it while you can.  Last night I attended the school concert of my son and I think the last song they sung said it best.  "Have Fun While You're Still Alive". Stay well:)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reflections, Andrew.
    Certainly a sobering situation when somebody of significance passes away.
    A reminder to all of us to appreciate the moment, and live each day as it could be your last.
    Sammi

    ReplyDelete