Sunday, January 15, 2012

Questions are getting answered

I may be on holidays at the moment, but I have got to say that my mind is still firmly on Chicago.  Saying that, I have downed tools for a little while and got some R and R and spent some quality time with the family.  Today we went to the movies, I managed to watch a good deal of the cricket and we went out for dinner.

You might notice that my blogging frequency has been down in the last week.  But I have still been busy which is why at 11.15PM I am sitting alone, while all others are tucked up in bed, writing this.  I have been in regular contact with Chicago, and we had a small drama, the records department at North Western managed to lose my x-rays.

Don't panic, it was just the CD's, and luckily I had copies of the images saved to my laptop.  So diligently I went out and bought some blank CD's, came home and burned the images onto them.  The next day I was already to take them to the post office for the long voyage to the good ol' US of A when I got an e-Mail from Paula saying she'd managed to retrieve the images.

Phew, crisis averted.  Paula is fast earning legendary status in my book for the friendliness and efficiency she has processed my case, answered all my questions and the promptness of her responses.  However, for losing my x-rays North Western Hospital has earned itself a black mark. Ooh, that sounds bad.  Not really.  When it comes to hospitals I am a hard task master, and it is really just a reminder to myself to have my own personal file with everything in it.

All my flights and accommodation are now booked too.  I will be flying Virgin to Chicago, leaving, and arriving on the 18th of February.  Once there I will be staying at the Seneca Hotel, which by all accounts looks very nice.  I don't know for sure as I've never been, but it is the hotel the hospital recommended, so that's a good start.

The hardest part about organising travel and accommodation was the travel insurance.  Have you ever tried organising travel insurance overseas when you have not one, but two pre-existing conditions they are worried about?  Your purpose for travel is to receive medical treatment and oh yeah, your immune system is going to take a hit, and the country you are going to is the most expensive and difficult to insure?  Well, I just have and let me tell you it is a pain it the #$%&.  What is more annoying is the person that I am dealing with at the insurance company is not a doctor, nurse or any other suitable qualified medical practitioner.  They are simply an administrative coordinator, so you have to explain everything as though you were talking to a five year old.

Lastly, I have almost worked out someone to come and spend some time with me while I am going through the SCT.  I talked with someone about whether it was advisable to have a support person through the ordeal.  This person had been through an SCT and said you could do it by yourself, but it is really hard.  I have chatted with my mum and wife and aside from the first two weeks, which is just testing and appointments they will be tag teaming to keep me company.

My mind is starting to gear towards what to pack.  I leave in just over a month, and I'm sure that time will fly by.  Organising everything has not been easy, but that has been a good thing too.  Working hard to make this happen has not just affirmed my resolve that I want to do this, but I also need to do it. Leave no stone unturned.  For me the worst outcome is to never try and never know.  Until next time, stay well:)

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Bud! You'll make it. Sounds like you are doing it right. Praying it will all work smoothlyfrom here on. Mike

    ReplyDelete