Friday, January 13, 2012

Idle Hands

If idle hands do the devils work, idle minds must be horrendous.  My point is that whenever I have been sick, or in hospital with not much to do the mind can wander.  And when you are already not at your best that can be terrible.  You can start to dwell on the negative and before you know it you can enter a spiral of depression and the way out is steep and treacherous.  Trust me.  I know, I've been there.

So why is this an issue for me right now?  Well if you have been reading my previous blogs you would know that I'm about to go to Chicago for anywhere up to three months for a stem cell transplant.  My sole reason for going is the stem cell transplant and in between all the tests, appointments, treatments, scans etc, I'm going to have plenty of down time.  Time for the mind to wander.  Time for the mind to play tricks.  Time for the mind to breed negativity and depression.

So how can I combat this?  Well, some people may think that I am not taking this whole procedure seriously, but I am also looking at it as an opportunity to do some stuff.  What that stuff is I don't quite know yet, but my theory is that if I can fill my head with positive, there will be no room for negative.

The first thing is, I have never been to Chicago, but I'm sure that there is plenty to do and see there, so in the gaps I hope to become a real tourist and do some sight seeing.  Second, I have friends that live in the States, and although limited and small there may be an opportunity to travel.

I understand that some people may thin that I have my priorities all mixed up.  But that is not the case.  I have to look after my mental health as well as my physical health.  Keeping my mind busy and active will help me stay positive throughout the ordeal.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment