Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Neuro Appointment

Tomorrow I go and see my neurologist.  She is smart, brilliant, patient orientated and just an all round great doctor and lovely person.  However, in the past her opinion (which I value greatly) has sometimes been a little conservative.  And I need her blessing and referral to take part in a dangerous, experimental, autologous stem cell transplant trial.  Do you see my problem here?

So, what to do?  I could find another doctor, but I think that is a bad idea seeing as though I am so happy with the one I've got.  I could ask my GP to refer, but he probably wouldn't have all the necessary skills.  For now I am left with my current neurologist which is OK because as I said, she is a great doctor.

Right now I have one option.  Convince her that this is the right thing to do.  That this is my best option and I am 100% committed to doing this.  And I am.  I have a similar thought process to how I tackled my brain surgery.  That is, if I had it and it didn't work sure I would be disappointed, but the thought of not having it and not knowing if it worked would be worse.  The treatment is there, I know it is there and I want it.

The other argument I get is what if something went wrong?  You have a young family and so much to lose.  Yes, but on the flip side, I have so much to gain also.  I want to dance with my daughter, kick the footy around with my son.  I wished I could have taught them both how to ride a bike, but I missed the boat on that one.  That was hard.  Really hard.

My first weapon will be to use these arguments, secondly, I need to come prepared with results and facts that prove this is the right course of treatment for me, and right now that is what I am going to do.  Stop blogging and mindlessly surfing the internet and start preparing.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment