Friday, November 4, 2011

Busy day.

I had three medical appointments today, and I have to say I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.  Why? I hear you ask.  Well, I didn't have to wait more than five minutes to see any of them!  The other point to note is that none of them were bad, which is becoming more common as I grow in confidence and get on the front foot with my treatments.

I started out with my tremor doc.  A week ago I would have thought I had pretty much reached the end of the road in terms of what my stimulator was capable of.  I was wrong.  I had an adjustment and although the improvement was only minor, it was still an improvement.  So, I am now thinking how much more can I get out of this.  I guess that only time will tell.

While I was there we talked about stem cell transplantation and other drugs for CIDP.  It was good to get his feedback and opinion even if as I suspected he was not well versed on the subject.  His thoughts were that I was extremely knowledgeable about the subject and that any doctor would have to take my wishes into account.

After that I went and had a chat with my chemist.  I wanted to get her thoughts on rituximab, and we ended up chatting for about half an hour.  One problem that I overlooked about the drug was that it is insanely expensive.  About $3500 a treatment, and is not covered by the PBS.  So if I can't get on a trial, or get a pharmaceutical company or hospital to pay for it, it is probably not going to happen.

After that I had to run off to the mercy hospital to have a 'stealth' CT scan.  Stealth is basically a way that they can superimpose the images of the CT scan over the top of my old MRI scans from a year and a half ago to check the lead placements from my DBS surgery.  I had to question the relevance.  Seeing as everything is working really well, surely the leads are in a good spot?  Anyway, I had the scan, and I'm sure if something is wrong, they will call me.

Lastly, it was off to the physio for a bit of neck work, which felt great.  All in all I feel it was a good day for me from a medical point of view.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment