Thursday, June 23, 2011

Stuff that works wrap up

Well, I'm sure you probably have a couple of questions about the segment "Stuff that Works". So I will attempt to preempt your questions and answer them.

First, what other things are available for people with disabilities?

There are lots. Too many to list in my blog. The ones I did list are the ones that I have purchased for me that have helped me. I understand that everyone is different, and depending on their individual disability and personal preferences they may have they may find some of the items I have listed unbeneficial. Alternatively items that I have no use for and have not listed may be of great use to someone else.

Where can I purchase these and other items?

This is the problem. Finding these items can be very difficult. For me, I never even knew some of these items existed until I went to rehab and consulted with an occupational therapist. From there I got referred to the independent living centre (ILC) where they had a comprehensive list of nearly everything I would need. The only problem, I couldn't buy any of it. Instead I got a list of where to go to get it, which was about five different places.

So off I went, where the stores didn't have everything in stock. Now, post brain surgery I couldn't drive, so I had to rely on others to take me. Finally I got everything, but it wasn't easy, and what makes it harder is the fact that the people that need these products are not the most mobile in the first place.

Anyway, if you live in Victoria, may I suggest starting at the ILC (they were very helpful) and following the trail from there. If you don't live in Victoria, probably the best thing to do is start with a google search or see an occupational therapist.

What is my big idea?

As I have said, getting these goods is a nightmare. So what if you could browse all these products at one place on line, order them and have them delivered? Make the process simple. My idea is to set up a business that will do that. I would love your feed back and questions, so don't hold back.

Anyway, it is a long time since I last gave you an update on where I am at and I do have some news to share, so until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment