Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We learn from our mistakes

When I wrote the post "My Biggest Mistake" I neglected to go into detail about what I learned from it.  It was a really important lesson that everyone who is consulting a health care professional should know and I learnt it the hard way.

NEVER let your doctor call the shots without querying him.  I see it all the time where people blindly follow their doctors instructions with total blind faith, whether the doc is right or wrong.  In my case, the doctor thought he was right but he was wrong and it cost me big time.

When ever I have a procedure now I know exactly what is going to happen during the op and post op.  If the doctor looks like he is cutting a corner I will pull him up on it.  Fortunately it has not happened again, but, pre-operatively I am so obsessive about it I don't think the doctors would dare.

When I had my very first kidney stone my parents were over seas, but I was lucky enough to have a close family friend stay with me while I proceeded through the zoo, which is more commonly known as emergency.

As a youthful 18 year old I was almost embarrassed by the way he assertively placed himself in the way of the doctors and nurses, writing everyone's name down and making sure they were doing their job properly.  It was amazing how quickly everyone started jumping around looking after me.

Looking back, he did exactly what I would do now.  He wasn't rude or aggressive, but was very assertive and certainly taking no nonsense.  If only he had been there when I had my first perc?  If you are reading this, you know who you are, and thank you.  Until next time stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment