Thursday, March 18, 2010

What Should I wear? Part 3

Once you first realise that you need surgery you will probably find that your anxiety levels will be greater, and you will think of a lot questions that you will want answers to, so the first step is to know exactly what you are in for. Below is a list of questions that you might want to ask. Please bare in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive.

1. How long can I expect to be hospitalised?

2. What is the standard recovery period?

3. What is exactly involved with the surgery?

4. How long will it take?

5. What drugs will they give me (pre-op, during op and post op) and what are the side effects.

6. Will I need x-rays/ blood tests etc and when?

7. Will I need to go to ICU after?

8. What are the potential problems that can occur?

9. What care will I need on leaning the hospital?

10. Will I need any post-op procedures or treatment?

11. How will I feel after the surgery?

12. Can I expect any nasty surprises? (example is my catheter experience I talked about in my last post)

There is an awful lot to familiarise yourself with, but it is very important and once you have set your mind to the task it is not nearly so daunting. The best way is to make a list of what you need to know, and who best to ask about it. Leave the list for a day or two and every time you think of something else add to it. People you might want to source information from are:-

Your surgeon - With out a doubt the most qualified person that you will have access to about your procedure. Not only are they highly trained professionals, they are getting paid to answer your questions, so don't be shy or feel you are wasting and important persons time, ask away. If you aren't happy with the answers, you are more than entitled to seek a second opinion.

Your anaesthetist - As another qualified doctor, they are obliged to speak to or see you if you request. An ideal person to talk to about the medications you might be given or the effects of anaesthesia.

Nurses - Once your operation is over, your surgeon will normally move on to his next patient and the nurses will start to manage a great deal more of your care. This gives them a great deal more experience at helping you feel comfortable post-op. It is a good idea to go and visit the hospital ward you will go to prior to your stay. This will give you a chance to familiarise yourself with the place (as waking up in the hospital after anaesthesia can be quite unsettling as due to the unfamiliarity) and a chance to talk to a couple of the nurses who deal wit patients like yourself every day.

Other health staff - Physios, psychologists etc. If they have a role to play they can certainly give you the best advice on certain parts of your recovery.

Natural Medicine Practicioners - Can be extremely insightful in suggesting ways to assist in the successful management of your recovery

Other patients - Nobody know exactly what it is like to have the procedure that you are going to have more than someone that has had it before. If you are reading this blog you are clearly no stranger to the internet. There is a blog or forum on just about any disease or operation you can think of. Read the experiences of others, or chat with them to ask questions. I never consulted anyone about my first few kidney stone ops, and after I finally did I wish I had done so earlier. In six weeks I will be having deep brain stimulation surgery. I have already talked to people on the net and actually met one former patient face to face. I plan on talking to and reading more from other patients in the next couple of months.

Next time, what to and what not to bring. I'll give you my opinion on what things I feel will best help you through your hospital stay. Until then, stay wellJ

No comments:

Post a Comment