Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My first posting!

Dear Readers,

Welcome to my first blog. I hope that those who read find it interesting, and you can find some insights and benefit in assisting people who find themselves in similar situations to what I have experienced.

I will be writing about my experiences in dealing with a variety of medical problems that I have dealt with and continue to deal with, and hopefully help others cope in similar situations, and also discuss things that have allowed me to improve my quality of life. Writing from a patients perspective will hopefully allow me to show a better understanding and empathy for others, compared to your standard health care professionals.

So, what exactly have been my experiences with medical problems? The first time I was hit with a nasty medical problem was in 1994 when I came down with a kidney stone. It hurt like hell, but I will go into that another time. Anyway, three months later, I had another stone, so after extensive testing I was diagnosed with a metabolic disorder known as cystinuria. Since then I have had over 50 kidney stones and 30 surgeries to have them removed.

The other major problem that I have had developed in 2000 and was one of the scariest times of my life when my legs started getting weak. After four agonising weeks, bucket loads of tests and consults from three different doctors I finally was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy (CIDP) which has left me with weakness and numbness in my arms and legs for the last ten years. To add to my neurological woes I also have essential tremor and depression, and I have also had to cope with the standard colds, flus and other bugs that everyoine gets, just worse because I have had to have my immune system surpressed.

Currently I am dealing with a kidney stone which will be removed shortly, and I will talk about this next blog. In two months time I will also be having brain surgery for my tremor. Until next week, stay well and I will see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment